Like many physicians, Dr. Terry Wahls focused on treating her patients’ ailments with drugs or surgical procedures—until she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2000. Within three years, her back and stomach muscles had weakened to the point where she needed a reclined wheelchair. Conventional medical treatments were failing her, and she feared that she would be bedridden for the rest of her life.
Dr. Wahls began studying the latest research on autoimmune disease and brain biology and decided to get her vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids from the food she ate rather than pills and supplements. To do this, she adopted the nutrient-rich Paleo diet, gradually refining and integrating it into a regimen of neuromuscular stimulation. First, she walked slowly, then steadily, and then she biked eighteen miles in a single day. In November 2011, Dr. Wahls shared her remarkable recovery in a TEDx talk that immediately went viral.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Terry Wahls, a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa. She is also a patient with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Dr. Wahls restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day. She is the author of The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine, The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles, and the cookbook, The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life: The Revolutionary Modern Paleo Plan to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions.
Dr. Wahls conducts clinical trials that test the effect of nutrition and lifestyle interventions to treat MS and other progressive health problems. She also teaches the public and medical community about the healing power of the Paleo diet and therapeutic lifestyle changes that restore health and vitality to our citizens. Every August, she hosts a Wahls Protocol Seminar where anyone can learn how to implement her Protocol with ease and success.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Wahls talk about how she stunned the medical community by reversing her painful symptoms of MS. They discuss The Wahls Protocol and how it’s transforming the lives of people with autoimmune conditions and they get into the latest scientific findings on fasting, ketosis, neurorehabilitation, and behavior change when it comes to treating MS and other autoimmune conditions.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Wahls’ MS diagnosis and what she did to reverse her symptoms (2:04)
- How Dr. Wahls changed her diet using Paleo principles (25:15)
- The important role vitamin K plays in the body, especially when it comes to myelin repair (30:54)
- How immunosuppressant drugs block the repair that your brain is attempting to do (45:57)
- The Wahls Protocol and how it helps other chronic autoimmune conditions (55:50)
- How research gets funded (1:00:05)
- How Dr. Wahls went from being banned from the National MS society to receiving funding for her research (1:10:37)
- The science of fasting (1:34:18)
- The importance of having a clear mission, purpose, and goal when it comes to your health (1:41:30)
- Where to learn more about Dr. Terry Wahls (1:47:08)
For more on Dr. Terry Wahls, be sure to follow her on Instagram @terrywahls, on Facebook @terrywahls, and on Twitter @terrywahls. Check out her website https://terrywahls.com.
- Watch her TedX Talk, Minding Your Mitochondria, here: https://terrywahls.com/minding-your-mitochondria-dr-terry-wahls-at-tedxiowacity/
- Learn more about The Wahls Protocol Health Practitioner Certification here: https://terrywahls.com/certification/
- Learn more about The Wahls Protocol Seminars, here: https://terrywahls.com/certification/
- You can find her book, The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles, right here: https://www.amazon.com/Wahls-Protocol-Autoimmune-Conditions-Principles/dp/1583335544
- Check out her research papers and gait videos here: https://terrywahls.com/researchpapers/